
MANILA – Government officials on Friday warned that additional funds may be needed to finance the repatriation of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in the Middle East if the region’s security situation deteriorates.
During a Senate hearing, Department of Migrant Workers Secretary Hans Leo Cacdac said the current budget remains adequate for ongoing repatriation cases but may fall short if the number of Filipinos seeking to return home rises sharply.
“At the present level of requests, our budget can still cover the operations. But if the situation worsens and more workers need assistance, supplemental funding will be necessary,” Cacdac told senators.
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration Administrator Patricia Yvonne Caunan disclosed that the government’s Emergency Repatriation Fund (ERF) currently holds around PHP1.5 billion after part of it had already been used this year.
Based on OWWA estimates, a mass evacuation from the Middle East could cost the government up to PHP3.67 billion.
Caunan said the average cost of sending one OFW home is about PHP150,000, which includes airfare, assistance packages, and logistical expenses until the worker reaches the Philippines.
She noted that with about 2.4 million Filipinos in the region, even a small percentage requesting repatriation could significantly strain government resources.
“If only one percent asks to return home, that would already mean roughly 24,000 OFWs,” Caunan said, adding that such a scenario could lead to a funding gap of approximately PHP2.2 billion.
Authorities are now evaluating potential funding options, including tapping contingency funds or reallocating savings from other agencies in coordination with the Department of Budget and Management.
elamigo/
