
By Benjamin Cuaresma
MANILA, Philippines — A shipment from Afghanistan yielded around 43 kilograms of suspected shabu valued at P292.4 million after Bureau of Customs (BOC) and Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) operatives uncovered the drugs at the Manila International Container Port (MICP).
The illegal shipment was concealed in fabric pouches designed to resemble talc stones, according to the BOC.
Customs Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno inspected the seized contraband Thursday following the interception of the two 20-foot containers, which were subjected to a 100-percent physical examination after being identified as high-risk cargo through the bureau’s profiling and monitoring system.
Confirmatory laboratory examinations of representative samples subsequently established the presence of shabu.
The seizure also raised red flags because of its similarities to another Afghanistan-linked shipment intercepted at the same port on February 10.
That shipment had been declared as “marble” but was later found to contain about 40 kilograms of dangerous drugs worth P272 million.
Nepomuceno said the latest seizure highlighted the importance of aggressive risk profiling and close monitoring of shipments entering the country.
“This operation proves the effectiveness of the Bureau of Customs’ rigorous profiling and risk management. By closely monitoring high-risk shipments and identifying recurring smuggling patterns, we further strengthen our ability to prevent the entry of illegal drugs into the country,” the BOC chief said.
The joint operation underscores the continuing use of concealed and misleading cargo declarations by drug traffickers attempting to penetrate the country’s ports.
ia/xf
