
By Benjamin Cuaresma
MANILA, Philippines — The Office of the Ombudsman on Thursday brushed aside the recantation of retired Marine Orly Guteza, saying the withdrawal of his testimony will not derail its investigation into alleged multibillion-peso corruption in flood control projects involving former House Speaker Martin Romualdez.
The anti-graft body described witness recantations in high-profile cases as a “classic pressure tactic,” stressing that its probe does not rest on the testimony of a single individual.
“Hindi bago ang recantation sa mga high-profile case. Classic pressure tactic ito. Hindi umiikot ang buong imbestigasyon sa iisa o kahit sa iilang witnesses,” the Ombudsman said.
The agency said it has 28 other witnesses, all uniformed personnel who remain in active service, prepared to provide direct and material information on transactions being examined in connection with the investigation.
“Ito’y mga taong nakauniporme at aktibo pa rin sa serbisyo,” the Ombudsman said.
The statement came after Guteza withdrew his earlier testimony before the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee, where he had claimed that he delivered cash or “basura” to lawmakers, including Romualdez and Rep. Zaldy Co.
Guteza later alleged that he had been pressured by detained Sen. Rodante Marcoleta and former lawmaker Mike Defensor to fabricate accusations against Romualdez.
The Ombudsman, however, maintained that the investigation is proceeding independently of Guteza’s account and that other witnesses remain subject to the legal process.
It also warned that cooperation with the investigation is a legal obligation, not a matter of personal choice.
“Anyone who attempts to obstruct, interfere with, or disrupt the investigation will face the full force of the law,” the agency said.
The Ombudsman’s declaration underscores its position that the recantation of one witness will not weaken a probe supported by multiple sources and other evidence being gathered through established legal proceedings.
ia/xf
