
By Benjamin Cuaresma
MANILA — Nearly 9,000 senior citizens in San Juan City received government rice assistance on Monday as First Lady Liza Araneta-Marcos continued the administration’s nationwide campaign to provide food support to vulnerable Filipinos.
Joined by San Juan City Mayor Francis Zamora, the First Lady led the distribution of rice under the “Bawat Bayan Makikinabang” program through her “Mula sa Puso, Para sa Pamilya” initiative at the FilOil Centre.
The program is expected to benefit 8,898 senior citizens, with 4,400 beneficiaries receiving their rice allocations during Monday’s distribution. The remaining recipients are scheduled to receive their assistance later this week.
Under the government’s food assistance program, each qualified beneficiary will receive 10 kilograms of rice during each of four scheduled distribution rounds this year.
The initiative is funded through the Local Government Support Fund (LGSF) and forms part of the administration’s continuing efforts to cushion vulnerable sectors from rising food costs.
The San Juan distribution marked the second straight week that the First Lady personally led the rice assistance campaign.
In her remarks, Araneta-Marcos expressed appreciation to the people of San Juan and reflected on her experience during the COVID-19 pandemic when she received her vaccination in the city.
She recalled the kindness extended to her by local officials despite not being a resident of San Juan.
“During the pandemic, we stayed here, and I received my vaccine in San Juan. I was nervous at that time, but your mayor took very good care of me,” she said.
“Now, after four years, I have the opportunity to return and give something back. It is truly a blessing to be here with all of you.”
The First Lady is scheduled to continue the rice distribution program this week in Valenzuela, Muntinlupa, Parañaque, and Bacolod City as part of the administration’s expanding food assistance campaign.
Last week, she also spearheaded similar distribution activities benefiting residents of Quezon City and Manila.
Government officials said the continuing rollout aims to strengthen food security for senior citizens and other vulnerable groups while reinforcing the administration’s commitment to bringing basic assistance directly to communities nationwide.
ia/xf
