
By El Amigo
MANILA, Philippines — A Bureau of Customs official assigned in Zamboanga has been relieved from his post after his son was allegedly involved in a shooting at the Ateneo de Zamboanga University Junior High School.
Customs Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno confirmed that the official is the district commander of the Port of Zamboanga Enforcement and Security Services.
Nepomuceno clarified that there was no indication that the father had any direct role in the shooting allegedly committed by his son. Still, the BOC opted to relieve him to prevent any conflict of interest and allow an independent probe into the possible mishandling of his issued firearms.
“We need to relieve him from his post so there can be an impartial investigation,” Nepomuceno said, noting that investigators would also determine whether negligence occurred in the custody and handling of the firearms.
The alleged assailant, a Grade 9 student, reportedly brought two firearms during the Tuesday morning incident. DILG Secretary Jonvic Remulla said the attack resulted in the death of a Grade 10 student.
A Philippine National Police document later said the firearms allegedly used included a standard pistol and another pistol equipped with a Roni conversion kit that gave it the appearance of a rifle.
Nepomuceno said Customs officials were trying to get in touch with the relieved personnel to coordinate his participation in the investigation.
He underscored that government personnel issued firearms carry responsibility for the weapons placed under their custody.
According to the BOC chief, employees receive training on firearm security and proper handling in different settings, including government offices, field operations, official missions and their residences.
Nepomuceno added that he had already instructed the agency to conduct a thorough review of its firearm issuance system around two months ago, to tighten safety measures and preventing similar incidents.
elamigo/xf
