
Marcos Suspends Public Schedule, Monitors EDSA Rally as Political Tensions Escalate
By Benjamin Cuaresma
MANILA — President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. suspended his Tuesday morning public engagements and remained in Malacañang to closely monitor the mass gathering at the EDSA People Power Monument, as the rally intensified into one of the country’s biggest political demonstrations in recent months.
The decision underscored the administration’s heightened concern over the developing situation, with the President focusing on public safety, traffic disruptions, and law enforcement operations as thousands converged along EDSA.
Dave Gomez confirmed that Marcos set aside his morning schedule to personally monitor developments.
“The President is monitoring the situation in EDSA,” Gomez said.
Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said the Chief Executive has been receiving updates from Malacañang, particularly on the welfare of commuters, workers, motorists, and other citizens affected by the unannounced mass gathering.
She added that Marcos was also monitoring police operations to ensure that public order would be maintained while safeguarding the constitutional rights of those participating in the demonstration.
The President had been scheduled to attend the inauguration of the Korea-donated cleanup vessel MV Nilad at South Harbor in Manila and later face members of the Foreign Correspondents Association of the Philippines in Makati City. Both engagements were postponed.
However, official activities inside Malacañang, including the presentation of credentials by Lee Lipton, proceeded as scheduled.
Authorities reported that thousands of demonstrators gathered near the corner of EDSA and White Plains Avenue early Tuesday, forcing traffic rerouting and causing heavy congestion along major thoroughfares.
The demonstration unfolded amid mounting political controversy surrounding Senator Rodante Marcoleta, who is expected to face plunder charges before the Sandiganbayan over the alleged P75-million campaign contribution case.
The Iglesia ni Cristo publicly expressed support for Marcoleta, with spokesperson Bro. Edwil Zabala questioning why the senator—whom the group described as an advocate against corruption—was facing prosecution while personalities allegedly implicated in the flood control controversy have yet to be charged.
“The Iglesia ni Cristo supports what Senator Marcoleta stands for because it is also our position. We call for transparency, accountability, justice, and peace,” Zabala said.
He added that the organization would continue its campaign for justice regardless of the legal cases filed against the senator.
For his part, Marcoleta has claimed that the impending plunder complaint is intended to prevent him from taking part in the impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte, which is scheduled to begin on July 6.
As the crowd continued to swell, Malacañang remained on heightened watch, balancing concerns over public safety, freedom of assembly, and the increasingly charged political atmosphere surrounding one of the most closely watched demonstrations of the year.
ia/xf
