
By Benjamin Cuaresma
MANILA — As political tensions continue to mount over the impending plunder case against Senator Rodante Marcoleta, Batangas Rep. Leandro Legarda Leviste has called on Filipinos to converge at the EDSA People Power Monument, declaring that the gathering transcends any single organization and represents a broader call for fairness, accountability, and public participation.
Leviste rejected the notion that Tuesday’s assembly was exclusive to any particular religious or political bloc, insisting that it belongs to every Filipino concerned about the country’s direction.
“Everyone is invited today to the EDSA People Power Monument. This is not for one group. This is for all Filipinos,” the congressman said in a statement posted on his official Facebook page.
Thousands of participants streamed into the People Power Monument area before dawn, forcing authorities to implement traffic rerouting and road closures along major portions of EDSA.
The Quezon City Police District estimated the crowd at approximately 7,000 by 6:45 a.m., with police maintaining security throughout the demonstration.
Many participants were observed wearing shirts previously distributed during the National Rally for Peace and the Rally for Transparency and Accountability organized by the Iglesia ni Cristo, fueling speculation that members of the religious group formed a significant portion of the crowd.
The Iglesia ni Cristo later issued a public statement confirming its support for Marcoleta, saying it opposes what it described as “selective justice” and the “distortion of law.”
Speaking through spokesperson Bro. Edwil Zabala, the organization said it stands behind the senator’s position and continues to advocate transparency, accountability, justice, and peace.
The rally unfolded as the Office of the Ombudsman moved closer to filing plunder charges against Marcoleta over the alleged P75-million campaign contribution controversy.
According to Ombudsman Jesus Crispin Remulla, the complaint is expected to be filed this week before the Sandiganbayan.
Marcoleta has denied wrongdoing, arguing in his counter-affidavit that the questioned amount consisted of private campaign donations rather than public funds, making the allegations inapplicable under the provisions of Republic Act No. 7080, the country’s Anti-Plunder Law.
Government prosecutors, however, contend that the funds were not properly reflected in the senator’s Statements of Assets, Liabilities and Net Worth (SALN), pointing to discrepancies between the alleged contributions and the assets he officially declared.
In a separate statement issued Monday night, Leviste raised broader concerns over what he described as an apparent imbalance in the government’s anti-corruption campaign. He questioned why attention appeared concentrated on Marcoleta while other public officials allegedly linked to anomalous infrastructure projects have yet to face similar legal action.
His remarks add another layer to the growing political debate over whether the government’s accountability drive is being applied consistently—or whether high-profile investigations are increasingly being viewed through the lens of partisan politics.
ia/xf
