
Classes suspended, damage assessment delayed as powerful aftershocks continue
By Benjamin Cuaresma
MANILA — A devastating landslide triggered by a powerful earthquake and subsequent aftershocks has claimed at least 18 lives in Sarangani province, disaster officials confirmed Monday, as authorities raced to assess damage amid continuing seismic activity.
According to Sarangani Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) chief Rene Punzalan, 14 of the fatalities were recorded in Barangay New Aklan in the municipality of Glan, where a mountainside collapsed and buried residents living in the area.
The remaining four deaths were reported in the neighboring town of Malapatan, bringing the province’s total confirmed death toll to 18.
Punzalan said the victims in Glan were permanent residents of the community and were caught when tons of soil and debris cascaded down the mountainside following the earthquake.
The landslide reportedly occurred in a highland area known for its rugged terrain, with continuous rainfall and strong aftershocks believed to have contributed to the collapse.
Emergency responders continue retrieval and clearing operations in the affected village as authorities work to determine the full extent of the disaster.
While no missing persons have been officially reported so far, disaster officials said reports from remote communities are still being validated.
Aftershocks Hamper Rescue and Assessment
Authorities have yet to complete a comprehensive assessment of damaged homes, schools, government buildings, and infrastructure due to persistent aftershocks being felt across the province.
Punzalan said safety concerns have prevented engineers and assessment teams from conducting full inspections of several structures, including government facilities.
“We are still experiencing strong aftershocks, making it difficult and unsafe for our teams to carry out complete inspections,” he said.
Classes Suspended as Safety Checks Begin
In response to the disaster, local officials ordered the suspension of classes in both public and private schools for up to 72 hours to allow for structural inspections and clearing operations.
The temporary closure aims to ensure that school buildings are safe before students and teachers return to classrooms.
Provincial authorities, together with national disaster agencies, continue to monitor the situation as aftershocks persist and rescue efforts remain underway.
Residents have been advised to stay alert and follow official advisories, particularly those living in landslide-prone and mountainous areas vulnerable to further ground movement.
ia/xf
