
MANILA – President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Thursday assured Filipinos that his administration is working to lessen the impact of rising global oil prices and ensure enough fuel and food for the country.
In a briefing in Mariveles, Bataan, Marcos said the government is looking at ways to provide more subsidies to sectors affected by higher prices, while closely tracking international oil markets.
“Oil prices are very unpredictable, so we are still adjusting. But so far, somehow, we have been able to soften the blow,” he said.
Marcos emphasized that the country has sufficient stocks of oil and essential goods, with government agencies focused on keeping prices stable. Measures are also being taken to lower the cost of basic commodities.
“We want to keep things under control. People need not worry. We are securing fuel and food supplies, and our current stocks are enough,” Marcos said.
To reduce dependence on Middle Eastern suppliers, the government is also exploring alternative fuel sources to ensure a steady supply.
He highlighted ongoing support for transport workers, including subsidies to offset delayed fare increases, especially ahead of Holy Week travels.
“The main goal is to protect people’s jobs and livelihoods so they continue to have income. We need to act quickly because of the oil crisis,” Marcos added.
elami/xf
