
By Benjamin Cuaresma
MANILA — A portion of the canopy of an abandoned, more-than-30-year-old building collapsed along Kalentong Street in Barangay Daang Bakal, Mandaluyong City on Sunday, damaging part of the sidewalk but leaving no one injured.
The collapse occurred shortly after 11 a.m., when the area was relatively quiet because of the weekend.
City Engineer Cris Roxas said the structure had long been vacant and had no tenants or occupants when the canopy suddenly gave way.
Authorities attributed the incident primarily to the deteriorated condition of the aging structure.
The city engineering office said the property had already been scheduled for demolition before Sunday’s incident.
Roxas said the owner had been served a notice approximately three weeks earlier because the building had been assessed as unsafe.
A warning tarpaulin had also been installed on the property declaring the structure condemned.
Barangay official Redd Abanes said the collapse was an unexpected development involving a property that was already being processed for demolition.
Despite the collapse, authorities reported no injuries or fatalities.
Only minimal damage to the sidewalk fence was observed.
Abanes said the timing of the incident may have prevented a more serious accident, noting that the area is normally packed with vehicles and pedestrians on weekdays.
Kalentong Street is known for heavy traffic, making Sunday’s lighter activity a fortunate circumstance.
As of 5 p.m. Sunday, one lane remained closed to motorists as authorities continued clearing debris from the area.
Officials said the property owner has been coordinating with the Mandaluyong government regarding the demolition of the remaining structure.
Authorities are expected to continue securing the area while clearing operations and preparations for the building’s demolition proceed.
ia/xf
