
By Benjamin Cuaresma
MANILA — At least six people have died, and more than 261,000 others have been affected as Tropical Cyclones Luis and Maymay, reinforced by the southwest monsoon or habagat, unleashed days of torrential rain that triggered landslides, rockslides, flooding and other weather-related disasters across several regions.
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC), in its latest situation report as of 6 a.m. Saturday, said 261,048 individuals, or 74,755 families, have been affected by the combined impact of the weather disturbances.
The affected areas span the Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Mimaropa, the Cordillera Administrative Region, Bicol Region and the Zamboanga Peninsula, underscoring the wide reach of the continuing weather threat.
At least 7,580 people from 2,519 families have been forced into 83 evacuation centers, while 120 houses have sustained damage.
But beyond the displacement and property losses, the successive weather systems have already exacted a deadly toll.
The NDRRMC reported six fatalities linked to the heavy rains and resulting hazards.
Two people died in a landslide in Benguet, while another two were killed in a rockslide in Rodriguez, Rizal.
In La Union, two more people died in separate incidents involving drowning and electrocution.
Seven people in Benguet were also reported injured in incidents associated with the severe weather, including a landslide and a vehicular accident.
The casualties highlight the continuing danger posed by saturated slopes, swollen waterways and unstable terrain as rains persist across parts of the country.
The storms and monsoon rains have also inflicted major damage on infrastructure and agriculture.
The NDRRMC estimated infrastructure losses at P105.5 million, while agricultural damage was placed at P3.53 million.
Government assistance extended to affected families has so far reached P7.38 million, according to the disaster agency.
The figures could still rise as assessment teams continue documenting damage in areas hit by the successive weather disturbances.
Emergency response operations have likewise been intensified.
The Philippine National Police earlier said 877 personnel had been deployed to areas affected by Maymay, while another 10,111 police officers remained on standby for rescue, relief and other emergency operations.
The deployment comes as authorities continue to contend with the combined effects of Maymay and the enhanced southwest monsoon, particularly in communities vulnerable to flooding, landslides and other rain-induced hazards.
The immediate weather threat is far from over.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said Saturday that the southwest monsoon will continue to bring rains over parts of Luzon, keeping already saturated communities at risk of further flooding and landslides.
PAGASA is also monitoring a low-pressure area outside the Philippine Area of Responsibility, although the agency said it currently has a low chance of entering and directly affecting the country.
With thousands already displaced, millions of pesos in damage recorded and six lives lost, disaster officials face the difficult task of keeping vulnerable communities safe while the monsoon continues to pour over parts of the country.
For communities already battered by Luis, Maymay and Habagat, the danger has not passed — and every additional hour of heavy rain could deepen an already costly and deadly disaster.
ia/xf
