
By Benjamin Cuaresma
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Friday strongly denounced the display of wooden caskets carrying anti-China messages in several parts of Metro Manila, stressing that while freedom of expression is protected under Philippine law, acts that threaten or intimidate foreign nationals and officials have no place in a democratic society.
In a statement, the DFA said it does not tolerate any act or threat of violence directed at any individual, including foreign diplomats and foreign citizens, describing the incident as both irresponsible and disrespectful.
“The DFA does not condone acts or threats of violence against any individual, including foreign nationals or officials. Such irresponsible and disrespectful acts cannot be tolerated,” the department said.
The agency emphasized that constitutional guarantees on free speech cannot be used to justify actions that jeopardize public safety or create threats against others.
The statement came after police recovered five wooden caskets bearing anti-China and anti-Communist Party of China messages at separate locations across Metro Manila early Friday. Some of the displays also reportedly contained threatening messages directed at Chinese officials, prompting authorities to launch an investigation.
According to the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO), the caskets were discovered in Santa Cruz, Manila; Barangay 54 in Caloocan City; Barangay South Triangle and Barangay Santa Teresita in Quezon City; and along Gil Puyat Avenue in Makati City.
The DFA stressed that the provocative displays do not represent the official position of the Philippine government nor reflect how Filipinos ordinarily express political dissent or criticism, even on contentious foreign policy issues.
It likewise reaffirmed the country’s obligation to ensure the safety and security of foreign nationals and diplomatic representatives under international law.
“The Philippine government reaffirms that it takes seriously its duties and obligations concerning the safety and security of foreign nationals and officials in the country, including those arising from the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations and the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations,” the DFA said.
The department added that it is closely coordinating with law enforcement agencies as investigators work to determine who was behind the coordinated displays and whether criminal charges should be filed.
Police investigators are reviewing closed-circuit television footage and gathering additional evidence from the sites where the caskets were abandoned. As of Friday afternoon, no suspects had been identified or arrested.
The incident comes amid heightened public attention over tensions between the Philippines and China, although authorities stressed that the ongoing investigation will focus on identifying those responsible for the displays and determining whether laws concerning public order, threats, or other offenses were violated.
ia/xf
