
By Benjamin Cuaresma
MANILA — Public Works and Highways Secretary Vince Dizon on Wednesday brushed aside speculation that politics played a role in his recent meeting with Naga City Mayor and former Vice President Leni Robredo, stressing that their discussions centered solely on infrastructure development and public service.
Speaking to reporters, Dizon said his visit to Naga City was part of the Department of Public Works and Highways’ efforts to support local government units in implementing key development projects.
“It’s just work. We have to support all of our mayors, including Mayor Leni. Our mayors have good plans and the national government needs to support them,” Dizon said in Filipino.
The DPWH chief visited Naga City last Saturday to inspect ongoing infrastructure projects, including portions of the Maharlika Highway and other major road networks. During the visit, Robredo disclosed that Dizon had assured the city government of continued national support for several priority projects.
Among the commitments made by the DPWH secretary were the completion of the Naga Airport modernization project, the Almeda-Mabolo Bypass Road, flood mitigation initiatives under the government’s Oplan Kontra Baha program, and the asphalt overlay of General Luna Street and other major thoroughfares in the city.
Robredo noted that the projects were among those requested by the city government to improve mobility, boost economic activity, and strengthen flood resilience in Naga.
Dizon emphasized that support for local infrastructure projects extends beyond political affiliations, saying the national government remains committed to assisting cities and municipalities across the country.
“You should see the plans of Mayor Leni in Naga. They’re all good. They need support because Naga can’t do it all alone. We will give all-out support not just to Naga, but also to Manila, Quezon City, Pasig, Davao, and everywhere,” he said.
The latest remarks come amid recurring speculation linking Dizon and Robredo politically ahead of the 2028 national elections.
Earlier this year, Dizon also dismissed suggestions of a possible Robredo-Dizon tandem in the next presidential race after the two were seen together with President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. during the launch of Oplan Kontra Baha in Naga City in February.
At the time, both Dizon and Marcos denied that the event had any political undertones, insisting that the visit was focused on government programs and infrastructure initiatives.
While political observers continue to speculate about possible alignments ahead of 2028, Dizon maintained that his current priority remains the delivery of infrastructure projects and support for local governments nationwide.
ia/xf
