
MANILA – Authorities have apprehended over 72,000 individuals across Metro Manila since the launch of the Department of the Interior and Local Government’s (DILG) “Safer Cities” campaign earlier this month.
National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief Maj. Gen. Anthony Aberin said the intensified enforcement drive, which began April 6, has recorded an average of 6,000 to 7,000 violators daily.
The campaign targets various local ordinances, including curfew rules for minors, prohibition of public drinking, restrictions on going shirtless in public, and limits on late-night videoke sessions.
Despite the strict implementation, Aberin emphasized that police personnel were instructed to exercise restraint and uphold human rights standards.
He said officers are encouraged to follow proper procedures, apply maximum tolerance, and issue warnings when appropriate.
The operation, however, faced criticism following an incident in Mandaluyong City where a man was apprehended for being shirtless while working outside his home.
Interior Secretary Juanito Victor “Jonvic” Remulla personally visited the individual and apologized, acknowledging the arrest as a lapse in judgment. He clarified that individuals performing work outside their homes should be treated with leniency.
Remulla added that the policy is intended to address loitering individuals without valid purpose, particularly those roaming shirtless in public spaces.
Data from the Philippine National Police (PNP) showed that on Tuesday alone, 7,708 violators were recorded. Most cases involved public drinking and smoking, followed by curfew violations, shirtless roaming, and videoke-related complaints.
Of the total, the majority were settled immediately, with thousands receiving warnings, while others were fined or charged depending on the severity of their offenses.
The Southern Police District logged the highest number of violators, followed by the Northern Police District, Quezon City Police District, Manila Police District, and Eastern Police District.
ia/_xf
