
MANILA – Public utility vehicles and cargo trucks will benefit from toll rebates on several major expressways starting March 23 as the government rolls out measures to cushion the impact of rising fuel prices.
The Department of Transportation (DOTr) said Friday the toll rebate program is part of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s response to the ongoing oil crisis triggered by conflicts in the Middle East.
According to Acting Transportation Secretary Giovanni Lopez, the program will cover Class 1 PUVs such as jeepneys, Class 2 vehicles including buses, and Class 3 trucks used for freight, logistics, and the transport of essential commodities.
He said the toll rebates will help reduce operational costs for transport operators while also protecting commuters and consumers from higher fares and rising commodity prices.
Eligible vehicles using the North Luzon Expressway (NLEX), South Luzon Expressway (SLEX), and the STAR Tollway will receive the rebates on a weekly basis.
The program will run for an initial two-month period and may be extended after further evaluation. Other tollways are not yet part of the scheme.
Lopez thanked San Miguel Corp., led by chairperson Ramon Ang, and Metro Pacific Tollways Corp., chaired by Manny Pangilinan, for cooperating with the government to provide toll relief for the transport sector.
With the reduced toll charges, Class 1 vehicles could save up to PHP18 per full trip, while Class 2 and Class 3 vehicles may save as much as PHP47 and PHP72, respectively.
Earlier this week, President Marcos directed authorities to suspend fare hike proposals for public transport and implement assistance measures such as fuel subsidies, toll discounts, and the “Libreng Sakay” program.
Authorities have already released PHP5,000 fuel subsidies to tricycle drivers in Metro Manila, while nationwide distribution for PUV drivers will continue through the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board and the Department of Social Welfare and Development.
elamigo/xf
