
By Benjamin Cuaresma
MANILA, Philippines — Former Rep. Mikee Romero has relinquished his post in the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Reserve Force as the Philippine Air Force (PAF) presses ahead with a review of the medals, ribbons and other military honors awarded to him.
The PAF said Thursday that Romero had also been relieved as commander of its Tactical Operations Wing (Reserve) Northern Luzon, with both actions taking effect on Aug. 19.
PAF spokesperson Col. Ma. Christina Basco said the relief and Romero’s departure came while the military continues its review and investigation into the policies governing the conferment of medals and other distinctions on reservists.
The review includes verification of records and issuances to ensure that all awards complied with existing PAF and AFP rules and regulations, Basco said.
Romero, in a separate statement, said he had “retired” from the AFP Reserve Force and formally relinquished his duties as a PAF officer effective Aug. 19.
“It has been a profound privilege and honor to serve our country alongside the dedicated men and women of the Armed Forces of the Philippines,” Romero said.
“I am deeply grateful for the trust, friendship, camaraderie and opportunities afforded to me through my service.”
Romero said he welcomed the AFP’s validation process and would support the review and verification of his military records through official procedures.
He maintained, however, that the medals, decorations, badges and other distinctions he received were properly reflected in official AFP records.
“All the medals, decorations, badges and distinctions” conferred upon him, Romero said, were duly recorded and could be verified through the appropriate military offices.
The controversy erupted on social media after a photograph of Romero in military dress uniform circulated online following the confirmation of his promotion to brigadier general in the reserve force.
The photograph showed Romero beside AFP chief of staff Gen. Antonio Nafarrete, with numerous medals and ribbons displayed on his uniform. The awards prompted questions from netizens about the basis and conferment of the military distinctions.
Romero’s promotion to brigadier general was confirmed by the Commission on Appointments on Aug. 13.
Romero, a former representative of the 1-Pacman party-list group, served in the House from 2016 to 2025 and eventually became deputy speaker.
Amid the criticism, he previously insisted that the awards were “conferred unsolicited by the respective service branches and commands based on official merit.”
He cited his legislative work involving the military, including his role in the crafting of the 2018 AFP salary standardization measures and efforts toward the acquisition of three C-130J aircraft for the PAF in 2021, when he was deputy speaker.
Romero also cited more than 60 voluntary engagements involving civil-military operations, humanitarian assistance, medical missions and disaster relief efforts.
He said these activities benefited more than 20,000 Filipinos, particularly those in remote areas, including Pag-asa Island in the West Philippine Sea.
“Those experiences strengthened my belief that genuine service is ultimately measured not by rank or position, but by what we can do for our people and our country,” Romero said.
With Romero no longer serving in the reserve force, the PAF review will continue, including the verification of records and issuances covering the medals, decorations and other honors at the center of the controversy.
ia/xf
