
By Benjamin Cuaresma
MANILA — The House prosecution team is not keen on presenting military officials Colonel Raymund Lachica and Colonel Dennis Nolasco as witnesses in the impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte, citing concerns over the credibility of their potential testimony.
Prosecutor Lorna Kapunan said the two officials did not testify during the 2024 House inquiry into the use of confidential funds by the Office of the Vice President (OVP) and the Department of Education (DepEd), making their accounts difficult to independently verify.
“There probably is wisdom in them not calling the military officials in,” Kapunan said.
“Baka magsabi sila ng testimony roon na imbento lang,” she added.
Lachica, former head of the Armed Forces of the Philippines Security and Protection Group, was previously identified in testimony involving the release of P500 million in OVP confidential funds.
Former OVP special disbursing officer Gina Acosta told the Senate impeachment court that she released the money to Lachica on Duterte’s orders. Acosta had also given the same account during the 2024 House inquiry.
Nolasco, meanwhile, was linked to DepEd’s confidential funds. Former DepEd special disbursing officer Edward Fajarda testified during the House inquiry that he released P4 million to P6 million weekly to Nolasco, allegedly upon Duterte’s instructions.
Kapunan said even if the two officials were subpoenaed as hostile witnesses, their credibility could remain vulnerable.
“Even if they are subpoenaed as hostile witness, there may be a concern about their credibility because we cannot cross-check their accounts on transcripts of the House panel inquiry,” she said.
House prosecution adviser and former Surigao del Norte Representative Robert Ace Barbers said the prosecution has not completely ruled out calling them.
“The prosecutors will assess the necessity of such and then, when there is good reason to, I’m sure we will invite and ask for a subpoena for them,” Barbers said.
The testimony issue is tied to Article I of the impeachment case, which centers on the alleged misuse of P612.5 million in confidential funds—P500 million from the OVP and P112.5 million from DepEd.
The prosecution also challenged Duterte’s call for greater transparency, with Kapunan saying the Vice President should first account for the funds of her own office.
“If you want transparency, you should start with yourself,” Kapunan said.
The Senate impeachment court is set to resume the trial on Monday.
ia/xf
