
By Benjamin Cuaresma
MANILA — The Office of the Ombudsman has begun verifying the documentary and testimonial evidence submitted by Sen. Panfilo “Ping” Lacson as part of his probe into alleged irregularities involving infrastructure projects in Taguig City.
Assistant Ombudsman Mico Clavano said Wednesday that Lacson’s files had been formally received and were now undergoing fact-finding.
“The files of Senator Ping Lacson have been officially received by the Office of the Ombudsman and are undergoing fact-finding,” Clavano said.
He said investigators were checking additional details they considered necessary to strengthen and complete their findings.
Lacson’s investigation covers Taguig infrastructure projects in an area politically identified with Senate Minority Leader Alan Peter Cayetano.
The senator has said the probe is looking into possible plunder, malversation and violations of the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act, among other offenses.
Lacson also said he believed the Ombudsman had already issued subpoenas to several government agencies for records concerning alleged anomalies in infrastructure and reclamation projects in Taguig.
Clavano, however, has yet to confirm the issuance of the subpoenas.
Clavano also disclosed that the Ombudsman is still determining where jurisdiction lies over an obstruction of justice complaint filed by Tindig Pilipinas against Cayetano.
Cayetano has filed a counter-affidavit in the case.
“There are still ongoing discussions whether or not the jurisdiction would lie here at the Office of the Ombudsman or in the DOJ considering the nature of the crime and the capacity in which the alleged crime was committed,” Clavano said.
The complaint is among several cases involving Cayetano that are being examined by authorities.
Sen. Robin Padilla and former Senate sergeant-at-arms Ma. O. Aplasca are likewise facing obstruction of justice complaints before the Ombudsman.
Meanwhile, Clavano said the Ombudsman is taking another look at the controversy surrounding the country’s hosting of the 2019 Southeast Asian Games, when Cayetano headed the organizing committee.
The issue was revived after National Bureau of Investigation Director Melvin Matibag announced an investigation into alleged irregularities involving the games.
Among the matters being examined are around P10 billion in unliquidated funds, alleged lack of competitive bidding for some projects and the controversial P50-million cauldron.
Cayetano has accused Matibag of attempting to intimidate him while he was serving as a senator-judge in the impeachment proceedings against Vice President Sara Duterte.
The Ombudsman’s renewed review of the SEA Games controversy comes as it separately evaluates Lacson’s evidence involving the Taguig infrastructure projects.
ia/xf
