
By Benjamin Cuaresma
MANILA, Philippines — A youth organization has challenged the Office of the Ombudsman to publicly disclose the status of all major investigations linked to the multibillion-peso flood control controversy, arguing that transparency is essential to restore public confidence after the Sandiganbayan granted bail to former Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla.
Samahan ng Progresibong Kabataan (Spark) on Tuesday dismissed Malacañang’s defense of the Ombudsman and state prosecutors, saying assurances from Palace Press Officer Claire Castro were insufficient without a comprehensive accounting of the progress of cases involving officials allegedly connected to the scandal.
The group maintained that Ombudsman Jesus Crispin “Boying” Remulla must present a detailed report outlining the developments in the investigation and prosecution of personalities implicated in the alleged irregularities, particularly those accused of involvement in flood control projects.
Spark said it remains unconvinced by the Palace’s expression of confidence in the Ombudsman, claiming that many of the individuals initially linked to the controversy have yet to face meaningful legal action despite the passage of nearly a year.
Among those the group said should be covered in a public report are former Speaker Martin Romualdez, former House appropriations committee chairman Elizaldy “Zaldy” Co, incumbent Senators Joel Villanueva and Francis “Chiz” Escudero, Senators Mark and Camille Villar, and former Senators Nancy Binay and Grace Poe.
The organization also questioned the absence of charges against Mark Villar, noting that he headed the Department of Public Works and Highways from 2016 to 2022, the period during which many of the questioned flood control projects were implemented.
Spark recalled that Remulla himself had previously acknowledged that charges against Villar were possible, but pointed out that no case has materialized.
The group further urged the Ombudsman to demonstrate that its campaign against corruption is free from political influence by also disclosing the status of investigations involving former and incumbent government officials previously identified in connection with the controversy.
Among those cited were Education Secretary Edgardo “Sonny” Angara, former Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin, former Presidential Legislative Liaison Office Undersecretary Adrian Bersamin, former Budget Secretary Amenah Pangandaman, former Presidential Assistant for the Visayas Terence Calatrava, former Education Undersecretary Trygve Olaivar, former Justice Undersecretary Jojo Cadiz, and former Special Envoy to China Maynard Ngu.
“The Ombudsman carries the responsibility of restoring public trust by demonstrating complete independence and transparency in the conduct of its investigations,” the group said, warning that failure to fully disclose the status of the cases could further erode confidence in the country’s anti-graft institutions.
The statement came a day after Malacañang defended the handling of the criminal proceedings against Revilla following the Sandiganbayan Third Division’s decision granting his petition for bail.
Revilla, a political ally of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., is facing a non-bailable malversation charge over the alleged P92.8-million ghost flood control project in Pandi, Bulacan.
Castro stressed that the grant of bail does not resolve the criminal case and should not be interpreted as an acquittal, emphasizing that the judicial process remains ongoing.
She likewise cited the Ombudsman’s assurance that prosecutors continue to possess strong evidence against the accused and appealed to the public to allow the legal proceedings to run their course.
ia/xf
