
By Benjamin Cuaresma
MANILA — Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla on Thursday dismissed Davao City Rep. Paulo “Pulong” Duterte’s claim that the International Criminal Court (ICC) had issued an arrest warrant against Sen. Christopher “Bong” Go, describing the allegation as unfounded and potentially dangerous.
Speaking to reporters at Camp Crame, Remulla said government authorities have not received any information supporting Duterte’s assertion that the ICC had ordered the arrest of Go and two police officials.
“We are always prepared for any eventuality, but statements like that can be misleading and dangerous,” Remulla said.
The DILG chief further questioned the credibility of the information allegedly received by the Davao lawmaker, saying authorities have seen no indication that such warrants exist.
The remarks came after Duterte claimed in a social media post Wednesday night that a “highly reliable source” had informed him that the ICC had issued warrants against Go and two unnamed police officers.
The Inquirer sought a response from Duterte’s office regarding Remulla’s comments, but no statement had been issued as of press time.
No Official Notice
Remulla reiterated that Philippine authorities have not received any formal communication regarding the alleged warrants.
Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. likewise said he had no knowledge of any such ICC action.
“Good for him if he knows something. As for me, I do not know anything about it,” Nartatez told reporters.
However, the PNP chief stressed that the police force remains prepared to carry out lawful orders should any ICC warrant be transmitted through proper channels, with coordination from the Department of Justice.
Go Linked to ICC Probe
Sen. Go has been identified by ICC prosecutors as an alleged co-perpetrator in the crimes against humanity case involving former President Rodrigo Duterte, who is currently detained in The Hague, Netherlands.
Although Rep. Duterte did not identify the two police officers mentioned in his post, former PNP chiefs Oscar Albayalde and Vicente Danao have also been named in ICC documents as alleged co-perpetrators in connection with the controversial anti-drug campaign of the Duterte administration.
Former PNP chief Camilo Cascolan was likewise cited in ICC filings but passed away in 2023.
Search for Bato Continues
Asked for updates on the whereabouts of Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, who is facing an ICC arrest warrant, Remulla said authorities continue efforts to locate the former police chief.
“We’re searching for him,” the DILG secretary said.
Dela Rosa briefly resurfaced at the Senate in May before reportedly going into hiding again following confirmation that the ICC had issued an arrest warrant against him.
Malacañang has previously stated that the government would immediately enforce any future ICC arrest warrants upon receipt through appropriate legal channels.
Government Urges Caution
Officials emphasized the need for restraint in discussing sensitive legal matters, warning that unverified claims regarding international arrest warrants could create confusion and unnecessary public concern.
The DILG maintained that any developments involving the ICC would be addressed through official government procedures and not through speculation or unconfirmed reports.
ia/xf
